Wednesday 21 June 2023

Summer Solstice Sun

HAPPY SUMMER SOLSTICE EVERYONE

Much cloud in evidence today, though a few gaps did occasionally appear.

The final image wasn't that brilliant, though it did allow for a few pictures with hints of plages and filaments.

Below is probably the best of the lot.


The view through the eyepiece was much better than the photographic image, filaments clearly showed better with the naked eye. 

Maybe I should try sketching some of those camera shy filament features...  I'll have a go soon.



Below is a sketch I made of a sunspot group, roughly ten years ago! I have the date somewhere, now lost in the labyrinth of my external hard drive.

The observation was made with my old 110mm reflector, mylar filter and a 12mm eyepiece.

It goes to show solar observing doesn't require huge apertures to be fun.



No comments:

Post a Comment

The French Scorpion.

Last night we camped in the village of Sereilhac, some maybe 20 miles south west of Limoges. The temperature all day hovered around 30°C !  ...