Thursday 26 January 2012

The Moon and Venus dancing....


It was cloudy all day today...... with the odd shower thrown in for good measure. 

According to the weather forecast website that I follow there was to be a break in the clouds around teatime.... 

They were thankfully right!!!  :0)

Like magic the clouds parted.... and as the days light faded I was greeted with the the Moon and Venus dancing above the trees at the end of our garden....  PERFECT !!  :0)

 

I was using our Nikon D50 camera with a 300mm lens set up on a tripod. 

For the above shots the camera was set up at 1/13 of a second ISO at f9.

Also I was able to capture a bit of the Da Vinci Glow (Earth Shine)... and you can also see from this photo a bit of glow from some passing clouds.



I noticed Jupiter was almost due South and I was wondering if the 300mm camera lens would be able to pick out any detail of the Jovian Moons...  

I aimed the camera and tried a two second exposure...   


This was the result........Jupiter's satellites are clearly visible... 



Wonderful celestial show tonight...

I would like to say a big Thank You to all the clouds for staying away  :0)

2 comments:

  1. Some people.....tea and celestial treats just in the nick of time!

    Some people.....:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pembrokeshire AstronomerJanuary 27, 2012

      Hi SUG, I couldn't have time the weather better if I'd tried.. :0)

      I didn't have the cup of tea....but I did have the sandwiches whilst I was observing... :0))

      Pembs... :0)

      Delete

Late evening Aurora.

Last night the Aurora Borealis was visible throughout a large portion of the UK. Here in Pembrokeshire it did not disappoint, though in my c...