Thursday 21 April 2011

Sun Filter Project.

I thought it time to make myself a solar filter for the TAL telescope.

Before I say anything...please be careful when viewing the Sun, only use approved sun filters and projection methods.

Even looking at the Sun with the naked eye for a few seconds can cause damage.  

I found this out the hard way about 32 years ago.

I still have the small scar on my left retina to prove it!


As the prices of ready made filters range from £40 to £90 for my particular telescope, I decided to make one incoporating the Baader solar film, which cost £18.



I would buy the ready made item, but at the moment all my pennies are going towards my next project, that of building my observatory.


The initial idea for my construction method is described here:-
http://www.baader-planetarium.com/sofifolie/bauanleitung_e.htm   with slight alterations made by me.
















I've placed an order for the solar film.
But I bet with the bank holiday post, I'll probably receive delivery next tuesday/wednesday.



This is how I intend fixing the solar film to the holder.








When the solar film arrives I will post some more pictures of my progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The French Scorpion.

Last night we camped in the village of Sereilhac, some maybe 20 miles south west of Limoges. The temperature all day hovered around 30°C !  ...