Monday 28 November 2022

Moon - Jupiter - Mars - Clouds

MOON

The crescent Moon looked beautiful last night,  a very welcome sight in a clearish sky, but with lurking clouds to the west.

The Newtonian was set up and some afocal phone camera photos were taken.





JUPITER

Around 17:00 the clouds rolled in completely and the sky was lost to astronomers.

I thought that was it for the night, but by chance around 20:00 a gap appeared and Jupiter was ablaze with the promise of that Europa transit I had been waiting for.


Quick set up of the Newtonian and some ten minutes later I had a sketch of Europa crossing the gas giant. 

Once again the clouds were threatening!


MARS

Mars was shining in the east and I trained the telescope onto it.  

It was a bit washed out and lacking in contrast, though I did manage to see the polar cap and some darker detail to the south.



CLOUDS

The ever present clouds finally beat me, by about 20:30 they had bullied their way back to cover the entire sky, the observing was at an end for the evening.

Though considering how persistant the clouds had been last night (and the past week or so!) I'm more than pleased with the results.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The French Scorpion.

Last night we camped in the village of Sereilhac, some maybe 20 miles south west of Limoges. The temperature all day hovered around 30°C !  ...