Sunday 30 December 2012

Astronomy by Candlelight.. Happy New Year...


I do a have a red safelight in the observatory, but I find no reason to hook it up and use it...

The reason being...... I enjoy candlelight.....

The soft subdued glow of the naked flame imparts a feeling of warmth that no red safety light is able to do.

Also when my hands feel a bit cold, I move them for a while closer to the flame.

Now if I could also run my RA drive on mechanicals, be it a wind up clock, or maybe a falling weight, then that would be my perfect astronomy set up.


2 comments:

  1. "Look at Aristarchus shining brightly" - no my friend you were w/this post!

    And yes the mechanical falling weight would be really fun!!!! But you will have to make a hole in the floor!

    Happy New Year Pembs & TAL1!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SUG... :0)

      Yes; it would be fun to try out the falling weight drive....

      I've also been looking at fork mounts with more interest these past few weeks. Also amateur telescope making has been on my mind... maybe 2013 will be the year of the Pembrokeshire Telescope Making Project...

      I hope Christmas went well....
      I managed to stay away from the Toblerone...!!! :0)

      Wishing you and your family a very Happy New Year..

      Talk to you soon Rich....:0)

      Mark, Helen, Jac & Tal1 :0)

      Delete

Late evening Aurora.

Last night the Aurora Borealis was visible throughout a large portion of the UK. Here in Pembrokeshire it did not disappoint, though in my c...