Wednesday, 29 March 2017

Sketching the Grass Moon pt.1

An old sketch of Plato from January 9th 2014

With any luck, over the next fortnight I will be making several sketches of the waxing April Moon.

Or to give it some of its other names:  Hare Moon, Grass Moon, Egg Moon, Pink Moon,  Seed Moon, Frog Moon, Awakening Moon.

60mm/f15 refractor

I like the idea of the April "Grass" Moon, our garden lawn is just coming back to life after the winter break.

I've made a list of a few lunar objects for each night up to and including the Full Moon.

This month I'm going to concentrate on observing with the 60mm/f15 refractor.




So with small refractor, pencil and sketch pad I will be on the look out for the following:

Old sketch from 2006 - 50mm refractor
Moon 2 day - 30/3/17
Langrenus, Furnerius and Messala.

Moon 3 day - 31/3/17
Mare Crisium, Cleomedes and Geminus.

Moon 4 day - 01/4/17
Atlas, Hercules and Taruntius.

Moon 5 day - 02/4/17
Gartner, Fractastorius and Charcornac.

Moon 6 day - 03/4/17
Meton, Lamont and Maurolycus.

Moon 7 day - 04/4/17
Abenezra, Montes Caucasus and Licetus. 


This small list will keep me busy for the first week and no doubt a few other lunar lovelies will be added as I go along.

I've kept each evenings target list to a minimum of three objects, therefore allowing me more time to sketch and ponder.

Next week I will make up a further list of lunar targets to find between April the 5th and 12th.



No comments:

Nearby.. a lone dog howls..

The Full Mackerel Moon will be upon us on Monday,  nearby I can hear a dog practicing its lunar howling! Up above, the slow moving clouds...